Sunday, November 27, 2022

A Memory Of Light by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

 

What does one say when finishing a masterpiece?  I started my journey with The Wheel Of Time two years ago and finished it the day after Thanksgiving.  I am thankful to have been given the chance to read this foundational series of epic fantasy.  Robert Jordan was the original author and after his passing, Brandon Sanderson stepped up and finished the series from Jordan's notes.

For those who don't know, the fourteen books in the series follow three boys from a small village who have been identified by the Aes Sedai (women who have magical powers) as pivotal figures in the coming war to either end the world or save it.  There is Rand, who will become the Dragon Reborn, the man the prophesies say will fight the Evil.  Perrin becomes half wolf as he carries out his duties while Mat is ever the jokester and prankster whose luck always saves the day when needed.  Together with a host of characters, they mature and learn what is important in life, to stand up when all seems impossible and to fight with everything you've been given.  

I can't imagine that I will ever read another series that affects me as this one has.  I'm going to make 2023 the year of Stephen Donaldson and read his Thomas Covenant series one more time before I give those books away.  But I'll never forget Rand, Perrin and Mat and their journey on the Wheel of Time.  This book is recommended for all epic fantasy readers.

No comments: