Thursday, December 31, 2020

Booksie's Year In Review 2020

 


It's the end of 2020 and time to look back on my reading year, evaluate the goals set for this year and set new goals for 2021.  Of course, the big story of 2020 is the pandemic.  We've basically been locked down since February as we've been very diligent about only going out when it's a necessity.  That means much more time at home and much more reading time.  I've read 175 books this year which is definitely an adult high mark.  I tend to read in the genres of mystery, literary fiction, science fiction/fantasy and nonfiction.  This year I read fifty-eight mysteries, legal fictions and thrillers, seventy-five literary fictions, twenty-one science fiction/fantasies and twenty nonfictions and anthologies.  Here's the best of what I read in each category:

Mystery

  1. Blindsighted, Karin Slaughter
  2. Just One Evil Act, Elizabeth George
  3. Miracle Creek, Angie Kim
  4. The Shadows, Alex North
  5. Breakdown, Jonathan Kellerman
Literary Fiction
  1. Girl, Woman, Other, Bernadine Evaristo
  2. Hamnet, Maggie O'Farrell
  3. The Satanic Verses, Salman Rushdie
  4. A Brief History Of Seven Killings, Marlon James
  5. Ten Minutes 38 Seconds In This Strange World, Elif Shafak
  6. Bring Up The Bodies, Hilary Mantel
  7. The Overstory, Richard Powers
  8. The Sport Of Kings, C.E. Morgan
Science Fiction/Fantasy
  1. Wheel Of Time series novels, Robert Jordan
  2. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, Hank Green
  3. War For The Oaks, Emma Bull
  4. The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin
  5. This Is How You Lose The Time War, Amal El-Motar/Max Gladstone
Nonfiction
  1. Underland, Robert MacFarland
  2. Age Of Wonder, Richard Holmes
  3. Pilgrim At Tinker's Creek, Annie Dillard
  4. The Black Count, Tom Reiss
  5. Lions Of The West, Robert Morgan

I had several goals for this year.  The first was to read 120 books and I met that goal.  The second was to read the Wheel Of Time series and I'm at the eighth of fourteen so about halfway on that one.  Third was to reread The Satanic Verses which I did.  Fourth was to read four classics and I failed on that one.  Last was to read from my own shelves and I'd call that one a success.  I read and gave away many more of my own books this year.  Here's my goals for 2021:
  1. Read 120 books.
  2. Finish the Wheel Of Time series
  3. Catch up on Jonathan Kellerman, John Sandford and Michael Connelly series.
  4. Read three classics
  5. Read at last ten of the Booker and Woman's Prize nominees
  6. Continue to read from my shelves and give away what I've read
Here's to a happier 2021!


No comments: