Monday, September 23, 2024

Dykette by Jenny Fran Davis

 

Sasha and Jesse are in a relationship.  They are in their twenties and not working as they figure out what to do in life.  The couple has been invited by an older professional female couple Jules and Miranda to spend the Christmas holidays with them at their country house and they agree.  Another couple, Lou and Darcy also come.  It's unclear if the older couple just want to get to know everyone better or if more will happen.

Sasha is very insecure.  She longs to be the center of attention at all times and dresses in various outfits throughout the day.  She is suspicious of Darcy who is planning a video shoot with Jesse's help.  Sasha wonders if Darcy is more attractive than her and if everyone else thinks so.

I'm not sure what to say about this book.  I'm not the target audience and I've seen reviews that thought the book was funny and insightful but I didn't find it so.  If I was gay I would be insulted that the characters were portrayed as so shallow and self-centered.  But again, I know I'm not the author's audience and I know little about her world.  I would recommend this to those who are a better match as a reader.  

No comments: