Saturday, September 19, 2009
GIVEAWAY!!!! MAKE AHEAD MEALS FOR BUSY MOMS BY JANE DOIRON
One of the hardest things about being a working mom is getting home at 5:30 or 6:00 still facing the need to feed everyone. Complicated meals are out due to time preparation, and most moms don't want to feed their families take-out or fast food all the time.
Jane Doiron has written a book that helps with this problem. In Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, she outlines a variety of interesting meals that are easy, nutritious and that will appeal to kids.
The book is broken down into categories of meals. There are sections for Appetizers, Breakfast and Brunch, Dessert, Main Dishes, Side Dishes and Soups. The recipes use standard ingredients, which is appealing. There is nothing worse than starting food preparation at the end of the day and encountering a rare ingredient that isn't readily available. These recipes use common ingredients that would be found in almost any kitchen. They are also mostly uncomplicated, without major amounts of time needed to prepare and cook.
The main thing about all of the meals in the book are that they can either be assembled ahead, frozen ahead or cooked ahead and reheated. Even though the recipes are easy in most cases, the thought of just coming home and popping an appetizing meal in the oven is heaven sent.
I really liked this book and the recipes. One of the first ones I'll be trying is honey-mustard chicken fingers. Jane suggest dipping the chicken in a honey-mustard sauce, then breading it. I know this one will be a huge hit at my house.
I'm also doing a giveaway of this book. I have one copy to give away.
1. The giveaway starts Saturday, September 19th and ends Wednesday, September 30th at midnight.
2. For an entry, leave a comment with your email address. Those comments without emails in the comment will be eliminated.
3. You can get additional entries by being a follower, or tweeting or blogging about the giveaway.
4. The winner must live in the U.S. and have a valid street address.
5. The winner will have three days to respond to notification with their mailing address. If they don't respond, another winner will be chosen by random number generation as the first one was.
Good luck! This is a great resource for moms and anyone faced with cooking for a family.